News from Mrs. Carli’s 1st Grade Class
June 16, 2016
· Tuesday, June 21st – Game Day (bring a board game from home)
· Wednesday, June 22nd – Dismissal at 11:45 (Last day of school)
In Math, we have been learning about graphing. We learned that every graph has a title and shows information or data about a topic. As a class, we graphed our favorite colors. Then, we created our own bar graphs (about favorite animals, favorite skylander character, favorite number, etc.) and polled each other to see which would be the most and least popular.
We have also been working on accurately identifying and counting pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters as we learn about money in Math. After reading a book about each coin, we made our own booklets. We also learned a money song to help us remember the name and value of each coin.
Earlier this week, we visited two third grade Wax Museums to learn about important people who have lived. The third graders dressed as their character and told about the significant events in their lives.
Our field trip to Drumlin Farm was a success! We learned about the plants they grow, their animals, as well as facts about some of the plants and animals in the nearby forest. We helped weed near the garlic plants and we each planted an acorn in the hopes that a new oak tree will grow.
Enjoy the summer, and keep on reading!
All of the children in our class have made great progress this year in reading. To get ready for second grade and to keep their brain sharp, have your child keep reading and writing! Below is a list of suggestions to practice.
- · Read everything! Signs, food boxes, magazines, etc.
- · Write me a letter! I promise to write back!
- · Keep a few books in the car.
- · Make a set time to read aloud to your child – even if it’s just 5 minutes!
- · Make a set time for your child to read quietly to themselves.
- · Play reading games like hangman or brain quest.
- · Continue to use www.raz-kids.com
- · Make a set time for your child to visit www.starfall.com
- Listen to stories online at www.storylineonline.net
- · http://www.aplusmath.com (free games and worksheets)
- · http://gregtangmath.com/kakooma (lots of free games and downloadable worksheets)
- · http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.elem.html (free games)
- · http://www.funbrain.com/brain/MathBrain/MathBrain.html (free games)
- · http://www.coolmath4kids.com/ (free games)
- · http://www.mathplayground.com/games.html (free games)
- · http://www-k6.thinkcentral.com (to continue with the GO math program – contact me for a password)
Thank you for sharing your child with me this year. I have looked forward to working with them each and every day and am truly amazed at the progress they all have made both socially and academically. I’d say we all had a successful year in first grade!
Have a great summer!