Thursday, February 16, 2012

Newsletter 2-16-12


The Green Meadow Gazette
February 16, 2012

Upcoming & Important Events:
·        Friday, February 17thFebruary break begins at the end of the day
·        Friday, February 17thBook orders due

Classroom News:

Morgan: On Monday Samantha’s mom and Alonso’s mom came in. We had to take a picture of ourselves doing a yoga pose. Then we signed our name on a bookshelf in cursive.

Kyle: Some of us read a book called Witty Word Play. The book is a book about jokes. I like the jokes and the riddles in it. One of the jokes is why don’t bears like clowns? Because they taste funny.

Aiden: This week in Gym we made up games in groups. Henry, Alonso, and Hannah were in my group. In our game there was a pitcher and a hitter. The pitcher throws the ball at you and you have to block it with a stick. I liked this game because it is like baseball.

Vinny: Last week in Library we read a story. Then we checked books out. After that I went back on the computer. I went on Starfall.

Hunter: Last week in Music we played our recorders. We also went to stations and played instruments. Then I went to the nurse.

Alonso: Yesterday in Math we started time and we learned different ways to tell time. I learned that time can be interesting. My favorite part was when we learned about a quarter of an hour. For example, if it’s 4:15 you would say it’s a quarter past four.

Joseph: Our class read a book. The book was called The Important Book. It said why something is important. The book is ok! For example: the wind is important because it blows, and the important thing about you is that you are you.

Thomas: Yesterday we worked on Valentines bags. We decorated them with stickers, paper, and colored them. We made them to collect our valentines.

Lindsey: Last week our class went to see a presentation by Officer Phil. It was super funny. He took out two puppets. I liked the turtle because it was funnier than the mouse. I learned about safety.

Rory: On Monday we had Writing Workshop. Ms. Little read us a poem. It was called “My Dog is an Ugly Dog.” It is about a very ugly dog. His legs are much too short for him, and his ears are too long. He is a scruffy dog, is missing clumps of hair, his face is ridiculous, but the person writing the poem loves the dog anyways. Then we had to write about it.

Hannah: Lately in spelling we have started something new where you can create your own words if you have finished all of the lists.  There is only a group of kids who get to do it. My words are thermostat, termination, tumultuous, traumatic, triumphant, transparent, triangular, tribulation, transgression, and tombstone. We will be doing this for the rest of the year.

Robbi: For the next three weeks we’re doing Read across America. We have to read 10 books and fill out a reading log.  Also, there will be a raffle if you bring your reading log in. You win something but I don’t know what it is. It is like a mystery.

James: Last week we read a poem called “The New Kid on the Block.” “The New Kid on the Block” was about a female bully. I liked the poem. We responded to it by writing in our notebooks.

Kate: Yesterday we had a Valentine’s Day party. We passed out our valentines to people in our class. You could also make one for Ms. Little and Mrs. Reilly.

Brianna: Last Friday we played Jeopardy in Math. We all were on a team and the teams had to think of a team name. My team’s name was Team Smarties. At the end a lot of teams were tied.  The whole point of the game was to review division.

Graham: Last week in Art I looked up the meaning of my name. My name means I was born in a gray house, but I was not. I was born in a hospital. After that I did free draw.

Henry: In Writing Workshop lately people are finishing their typing. Some of my friends are done with their whole story. Sadly, Wednesday was the last day of typing. I’m finished with my whole story.

Reese: Yesterday on Valentine’s Day we made a heart, but they aren’t regular hearts. They are hearts that say what we like and how we are different and alike. We had to think about what’s important to us and who we love. My first favorite thing that’s important to me is my family. Another thing that is important to me is gymnastics. I have about 15 things on my list. I like this project because it tells how we are different, alike, and unique. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Dorinda: On Monday we had 70s day/backwards day because we filled up the marble jar. Some people did both. I did backwards day. Ms. Little told us that the 70s was about peace and love.

David: In Math we did the division test. The one question I remember was about how Karen caught 5 spiders and each one had 8 legs. They had 40 legs altogether. Then we had to write a related division sentence. It was 40 divided by 8 = 5.

Samantha: We have been practicing MCAS. This week we practiced one about Ben Franklin. The open response question was why was Ben Franklin famous?  One of the ways Ben Franklin was famous was because he discovered that lightning was electricity.

Kyleigh: Hello! We have been reading a book called Swindle. The story is about a couple of kids (Griffin and Ben) having a sleepover at a house that’s going be wrecked the next day. They let a guy look at the Babe Ruth baseball card they found in the house and he lies about how much money it’s actually worth, and he doesn’t give it back! So now they call him Swindle. They are trying to steal it back by going into his house but there is all kinds of security stuff everywhere!

Ms. Little:  February vacation is quickly approaching! Part of your child’s homework over the break is to read for at least 15 minutes each day. An Independent Reading Journal is due the following Monday (February 27th). The Independent Reading Journals will be given every other week for the remainder of the school year. Please contact me if you have questions or concerns. Enjoy the February break. J

No comments:

Post a Comment